Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Dam long day of Rainbows and Sweat


Unfortunately, not another hiking story. But a good long day nonetheless.

As of yesterday, we have commenced the trial runs of our Civic Engagement Camp units, a camp week that we will be leading for some 25 or so students this spring. The 6 units bring together the components of what it takes to be an engaged citizen in a community and organize a community service project cooperatively.

Unit one is about understanding individual freedom and community. The best part though, is that we get to do all of the projects we intend to do with the kids, so yesterday we got more swag.
 
Made Tye-die....cause, how could you not build an
awesome community off that?

Made Journals: my back.

my front

At around two, we ended our meeting day and headed over to Mossyrock for a tour of the tallest Washington dam completed in 1968, which boasts a height that dwarfs the Seattle Needle. We had a very enthusiastic and kind-hearted tour guide named Randle who led our cars across the dam in a very v.i.p. fashion and winded us down to the power house that stores two jumbo generators. We got to walk inside the generator casings and watch the things spin as fast as 80-somethin hundred basketballs shooting through your arm per minute….or second…something ridiculous. In the control room on a digital color-coated monitor, he showed us how they track the movement of water energy through the power house and how they adjust the levels to keep the generators spinning at 128 revolutions per minute(…second? Am I getting that confused again?) to keep it at exactly 6 hertz, the “correct wave of electricity”. It had never really crossed my mind that a dam would be all that interesting but I did appreciate hearing about their Hydropower methods and their environmental philosophies that focus on using the natural resources wisely, keeping the fish population thriving in their natural cycle and focusing on all surrounding components of the environment as well. I also appreciated his balanced view on dam efficiency, not being a hard-lined advocate for saving dams that are no longer serving their purpose. He said that of the 7500 dams left in the USA, a good portion of them qualify for revisions. The Hydropower type that they run is one of the most sustainable and efficient methods, the 240 or so are providing 10-15 percent of the power. At the end, more swag ensued: flashlight keychains and snazzy folders of statistics and why we should work at a Hydropower plant.
The whole day had been shades of gray, speckled with slightly clear-ish patches of a meager blue trying to poke its way though. By the time we finished the tour however, a steady drizzle was setting in and the lack of color was making it quickly feel late into the evening. However, I still had plans in front of me. Instead of succumbing to the weather’s suggestive prompt of curling up with a movie, I was off to Chehalis to visit my first-ever WWOOFing farm, Twinbrooks! Since my time there in 2011, Lorna and Carl had built a Sweat lodge and the prospect of the steamy cleanse kept me awake amidst the drab.









I surprised myself in how well my visual memory worked to navigate me through the back country roads to the farm. Tree lines and fields where I’d waved at baby foals and farmers rolling their hay all jumped out with familiarity. As soon as I saw the rickety farmhouse, a grin lit up my face. Lorna came out to greet me with her sweet whimsical smile worn on her rough-and-tough farm woman stature. She welcomed me as I remembered, calling their current wwoofer by name like a son that had been with them for years, and one that I knew well, none the less. Instant family.

In the house, Jared had been put to work cutting up tons of Quince, a fruit I am still on the fence about after trying it both raw and cooked. Lorna left us to get to know one another and finish up dinner preparations while she started the fire and took the dogs on a walk. When she returned, we 
added a couple more logs and then waited for the fire to burn down to hot coals and expose the glowing rocks in the center. Lorna ran around and prepared  towels and water and cautiously asked about our level of shyness to determine what to wear. I was gung ho for whatever dress code was established and Jared seemed apprehensive but open. I silently gave him kudos, having learned this was actually only his second day there and that he had never done a sweat on top of already getting to know Lorna’s quirky personality.

The sweat was wonderful. Certainly not as intense as a traditional sweat but we got some good steam going with 7 rocks and Lorna and I offered up some chants. Afterwards, we all took turns with the outdoor shower before meeting inside where Acorn squash was warming in the oven.
The next morning, I stayed for a breakfast of Zucchini patties and Jared and I took a walk around the wood/creek trail before I headed out.




That night after errands and a long drive home, I hosted my second Karaoke night. It was quite a bit different since my partner in crime was at the teen center until 11 and I remained sober as part of my 3-week hiatus from Alcohol, coffee and chocolate. Despite the clarity of my judgment, I managed to get myself to do my first solo performances in front of a Karaoke machine. Granted, I had my hands in the pockets of my sweatshirt and my face was probably redder than hot coals but that was a plural. I did three songs all on my ownsome. And quite a few more for backup support. I am not from these parts though. I am currently sitting with the Karaoke book at my side because I am going to have to learn more songs that these people jive with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment