Friday, May 8, 2015

Another stone set

Spring fever has hit in Packwood. 

Anna’s visit kick-started my social mania just in time for work to pick up at the coffee shop. The combination of new work and the week’s social gatherings have put me back into the public sphere to an intoxicating degree. I am continuously falling back into love with my Packwood community. As the weather continues to warm and weekends of races start to bring familiar faces back to town and signify the approach of memorial day, I want every day to be a social vacation. I’m getting pumped to be palling alongside my lovely friend and co-worker Patrice, I’m anticipating the witness of goofy new friendships formed from intoxicated Karaoke scenarios and my own connections with vendors and visitors. Patrice and I concocted a last minute cookout of Salmon after work the other night, Debbie and Gaven’s family had me over for my first clam experience and we’re talking cook-out plans, bonfires and picnics. 

The honeymoon season begins. 

In the midst of my good natured feelings toward this home of mine, Chris offered me a job at Blanton’s for the summer. Hal has been wanting to hire me since last year and apparently, they are literally hold this position for me, should I decide to stick around for the summer. 

And I have decided. 

Hey Packwood, let’s get ready for some fun in the sun. 

I could feel myself leaning this direction even before talking it through with my mother. As we talked, I only became more confidant in my decision. Instead of having to pick up and move right after I finish, sticking around will allow me to decompress and plot my next moves while still in a place where I am already established as an active community member and have a job that I enjoy. This will also make job-searching much more feasible when the time comes, because it won’t be at some awkward, mid-year stage and places will actually be seeking for the time i become available, revving up for the fall and holiday season. I’ve also nowhere near exhausted the tip of the iceberg in terms of the trails and sights in this grand state so between work, my hope is to venture out into some of that unexplored territory. I’ve been connecting with a few experienced hikers and my hope is that I’ll be able to advance to backpacking/overnight trail level at least once or twice. 

But beyond that, I’m just not ready to leave this town. I want to see the Butter Butte become Goat Rocks Cafe. I want to see our community garden through a full season. I want to watch the kids enter their next grade level and marvel at where the time has gone. 

Man, its gonna be hard when the time comes. 


But at least for now, I can feel my soul settling. It is odd how a simple affirmation of a thought or decision can create bigger shifts inside someone. I feel a sense of calling here home in a way that I didn’t when I was wavering. I’m not running full-speed towards a cliff anymore. I'm building my path, and the next stone has been set.

One of the first of many fabulous evenings with this lady back in 2013!
I never would have felt so welcomed into this community
so quickly if it weren't for you, Mary Payne! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment