Saturday, April 11, 2015

Spring Break: On to the Olympics

Saturday was a learning curve. I think that after a few days of launching into a less reserved diet on top of getting right back into travel threw my system for a spin. My mom and I arrived in Seattle in the afternoon and by the time we'd checked into Sarah's Air BnB and headed for a walk in the Arb, I could tell I was in for a rough evening. My stomach pain got really bad just before dinner and I tried to manage a smile through our exotic vietnamese food experience but came out on the other end with a sobbing admission of tough times to my mother. Even though I was a damper the whole evening, we did get some laughs and smiles from attending a show at the Moisture Festival, a large Comedy/Variety event in Seattle. Mother had gotten tickets because she heard a favorite artist named Don White would be there. Although he only did one duet, the rest of the acts were way worth-while and she did get to talk to him in person at the intermission. Besides the funny musical number, there were some incredible performance feats. A man by the name of Patrick McGuire did a great Chaplin-esque act that involved impressive juggling skills and a woman named Sarah Sparrow did another silent act while accomplishing amazing aerial stunts. The only act neither of us liked was a family group that did standard circus fare and gave off a very unsettling vibe of dysfunction.



Sunday began rough as well but once we left the city, I had a long car ride to write a bit, breath into my struggles and come to some semblance of equilibrium. We revisited the Quinault area that I'd explored years ago with my friend Sean and by the time we reached the coast nearing the Olympics, I was feeling much better. We were able to enjoy a delicious dinner at Kalaloch Lodge and a walk along the beach. After that, we continued on an hour to our home for the next two nights: Huckleberry Cabins in Forks.






For weeks leading up to this trip, every one of the phone conversations between my mother and I had included a desperate plea to convince me to let us listen to Twilight in the car. When she had learned that the story took place in Forks, she instantly convinced herself that it was of highest obligation to finally get in on the dreaded trend. The dialogue in regards to her initial request went something like this:

Mother:  *hesitantly hopeful voice* "so....did you know the Twilight books take place in forks?"

Me: "Yeeeeeeeano. No thanks."

I pointedly asked that if 50 Shades of Grey had been filmed there, would she insist we read that. Point taken, I thought the discussion was over but being the dedicated researcher of her travel destinations, she decided to listen to the book anyway and so upon entering Forks, there was a bit of tongue-biting as she tried to filter any mention of Vamps and Werewolves. I did finally let her explain why there was this sign posted at the entrance to La Push, the next town over:



I can tell you that the Forks area is plenty worthwhile for anti-Twilight fans. Just south of town is the entrance to the Hoh Rainforest. The road leading in winds you right along the Hoh River and its rather interesting to watch the landscape change from Mountainous valleys to the Temperate rainforest hidden within. I would love to go back sometime when I can embark on a multi-day hike because the main trail offered in that part of the park leads nearly 18 miles into a Glacier basin. Even still, the 2-mile loop trail near the river makes for a really nice way to spend the afternoon. As long as you don't lose your walking buddy. At first, I was impressed when after a stop by the river, I realized mother wasn't catching up and I went back to find she wasn't where I'd left her either. Yet as I continued on down the trail, my anxious mind started to make up all sorts of possibilities: What if she'd gone back the other way? What if she'd had a mishap by the river? What if she was waiting somewhere else on the trail? Looking back, it seems only reasonable to assume we'd meet up in the parking lot but  at the time, I told myself they always warn you that things can happen on even the smallest of trails! I got a bit teary when I saw her walking from the car as I emerged off the trail but I smiled a little inside, realizing how much I love this woman even when we get each other frustrated.




With the day still young, we stopped at a store on the way out of the park to ask about what there was to do in the area. This particular place happened to carry a line of clothing that was exceptionally enticing to our material weaknesses. We avoided even trying anything on for the longest time and then after mother got some destination advice from the nice cashier named Olga, she sort of gravitated back towards the rack of clothes, sweeping her hands over the comfortable fabric in a longing way. That was all it took for us to look at one another and pick some things to try on. I found a shirt I liked right away and then ended up chatting with Olga for the next 45 minutes or so while mother tried things on. Olga was this trip's Michigan transplant, as I always seem to run into when I travel out here. Not only was she from Michigan but she had grown up and gone to school in Grand Rapids. We talked about our experiences back home and what brought us out here, comparing notes on our small town lives. She was living with her grandparents and as we talked about art, she  shared a bit about her grandmother's hobby of selling the traditional clothing of her Guatemalan heritage. When mother was finally ready to go, it had begun to rain so instead of heading to the beach that Olga had recommended, we went back to the cabin and started a scrabble game. The rain cleared up for the last bit of afternoon and we hiked out to the ocean before dinner. The trail was in the town of La Push, which besides being anti-vampire, is also home to the Quileute Indian Tribe. The town was covered with the tribal artwork of the area, a style that I'd seen in greater Washington and become particularly drawn to when I learned about the mythic creature of these Pacific tribes, Sisiutl, typically depicted in this style of artwork.
making a path to the beach



Sisiutl is a two-headed water serpent that resides in the ocean. It is said that when one sees Sisiutl rise from the water and come towards them, not to run. It is said that if one stands their ground as Sisiutl charges, the serpent will reach the shore and before attacking, it's two heads will meet. Seeing one another, Sisiutl terrorizes only itself and fades back into the water.

Try to stand before Sisiutl every day.



No comments:

Post a Comment