Sunday, July 28, 2013

The "city" life



Griping aside, there is a whole lot I get to enjoy as a part of my alternative living situation. 

The house I am in is like a little Island forest Oasis. I mean, its on "Treasure Rocks Rd" with "Treasure Hunter Ave " and "Pirates Way" branching off into little mountain cul-de-sacs. I almost feel like there should be one of those Pirate Ship amusement park rides in our driveway.


Like I mentioned, even the house feels fantastical. The structure is comprised of gigantic sheer polished logs that almost dwarfs any other architectural feature. Light fixtures and cabinetry just all become...wood. But it doesn't close me in. There are windows everywhere. It is impossible to be in a room without one. 


And with this view, why wouldn't you have windows wherever you could? 

The man that built it is an overambitious Army Vet and so there is always some quirky project going on to elaborate. He is also a rather tall individual so a few things in the house are abnormally large, namely important things like steps and tub walls. 





But the plant life that abounds is really what creates this little luxury sanctuary.

My friend's garden, growing a little bit of everything! Zucchini, tomatoes, lettuce, kale, peas, herbs...that weird tall artichoke-but-not thing in the back there....
 







The house is just a short jaunt away from town which consists of one vert quaint but fairly happenin' little road that runs up to 101 from the coast. They've got all the essentials - a local bank, post office, library, community center and even a farmer's market venue - and then some. 

One of the only places open before 8am and they have fabulous coffee.










The town's health food store carries a good selection of bulk items, organic produce, Organic luxuries and Kombucha.  And they also have good coffee.  

This bookstore is incredibly selective about their books and carries a lot of the latest best sellers as well as more obscure but highly acclaimed titles in spirituality and natural living and human development and history...they also have a large section of local writers and have local cards dispersed throughout the store. I was able to sell some of my notecards to them when I got here!
Manzanita is part of a trifecta of towns that I most recently heard embraced as "Manziwheelem" (Manzanita, Nahalem and Wheeler) The three towns run right into each other on the highway and for some reason, this address is even listed as Nahalem instead. Between Manzanita and Nahalem is a community garden that was built by one of the local architects. I got to see its humble beginnings when I was out here a couple years ago and now I've been back to witness the bounty that came from such hard-working gardeners
A portion of my friends plot at the community garden.


When I was here last, we had a solstice and prayer flag party. My flag is still there!


But not only does being in town allow for me this varied environment...there is also the upside of the daily commute: 








No comments:

Post a Comment