Friday, December 26, 2014

Winter Break Part III: Life doesn't stop

December 24 and December 25

As I am entering the last week of vacation, I have become a bit more aware of important considerations thrown by the wayside. I have set aside much of my AmeriCorps work and personal obligations to find time to enjoy Florida and also be a healing source of support for Lauren right now. It has been deeply rewarding to have that bond and relationship but I have not taken the responsibility that I should to take care of a few tasks that I need to for myself. The last two days really put that on hold and I am now refocusing to think about what is ahead for me. 

I decided well before break that when I return to Washington, I will be diving into a 3-month period on a healing protocol based off GAPS. This means that I have to incorporate bone broth into my diet after being a vegetarian now for over 7 years. It also means dropping a lot of indulgences cold-turkey and basically reframing my daily lifestyle immediately. But I think that I am ready and the hope is that in three months, I will be significantly more balanced in body, mind and spirit than I am now. But I need to have all my supplies and protocol planned before returning so that I get off to a smooth start. Over the next few days, I will have to split my time between social and personal. 

The last few days however, I was called to put my energy elsewhere. The night my mom left, we ended up in Sarasota to give Raven a night on the town and take care of some business. We had some great Indian food, chatted up some interesting characters and watched Raven perfect his own street performances. 








 Yesterday, the morning was dedicated to a brief Christmas moment. Raven opened his stocking and The adults exchanged a few gifts. Lauren gifted some beautiful healing crystals to me. Then we made a breakfast of fresh baked seed bread, pancakes and fruit. 














Today was on of the only days Lauren and Jake could find to finally have time for her birthday celebration and so I had the afternoon with Raven. We rode bikes to the park and had a super rad time on a crazy spinning contraption until we both felt nauseous from the food-spinny combination. We trudged our achy bellies back on foot and it started to wear off. On our walk, we came across a dead snake and Raven began on one of his verbose babbles about Diamond Back Rattlesnakes. “Diamond Backs are the most poisonous snake! They only live in Chicago…and Australia! And they eat Gorillas!” 


“Gorillas, really? Where did you hear that?”

“I didn’t hear it, I just know that. I’m pretty smart.” 



Back at the house, we watched the new ‘Planes’ movie and Raven completed his first-ever puzzle! Then when Jake and Lauren returned, we were convinced to head to the beach for sunset because it was much less windier than the night before.


 I definitely enjoyed the walk at a more leisurely pace and was sure not to get caught knee-deep in a wave this time around. Lauren had shown me how to identify sharks teeth and I had my head to the sand for a bit just searching for neat teeth and shells. It wasn’t until I got offered a piece of chocolate that my stomach said “oh gosh! real food!” Raven had been asking to leave and I was now on his side, so we walked ahead back towards the car. 






We’d had a large meal planned already and when Jake said he had leftovers to make sushi with, we didn’t think we’d need to do much other cooking. I stir fried some vegetables and Jake ended up involved in a lengthy sushi production while Lauren tackled important business. It was incredibly late when we finally sat down but it was still probably the best christmas dinner I’ve ever had: sushi and Wakame salad. Jake had gotten pretty fancy and put mango in some and plated it very nicely for presentation. Dessert consisted of an array of options and after Raven was in bed, the three of us opted for homemade pumpkin pie (a second attempt after a miserably failed first) homemade whipped coconut cream, cherry amaretto ice cream drizzled with raspberry liquor and ice wine. Decadence. 









No comments:

Post a Comment