Sunday, July 28, 2013

The foodie part of farming

I of course, have not been out here all this time without getting my hands messy in the kitchen. While I've only had the opportunity to cook a meal once at the farm so far, I've been able to dabble around with some farm goodies in the house kitchen to share.


Andrew had never done bean burger/patties before so when I volunteered to make some for dinner he was uber excited. He hung around and helped chop some veggies so I could show him just how ridiculously easy it is. I usually start with a base that consists of your bean of choice, a good thickener like tahini, an egg (I use flax eggs a lot also) and usually quinoa or oat flakes to help hold it together (although I forgot this time and they turn out fine.) These are Curry Chickpea burgers with curry, paprika, ginger, cumin and a little salt. Then we sauteed some fennel and broccoli with garlic and lemon. It wasn't my best creation but it was tasty. The patties could have been a bit juicier and I would have let the fennel caramelize more if it weren't getting so late. 


Yum! Blackberry Lemon-Coconut Oat Cookies! These began as a raw-ball creation but because of my flavor profile, I wasn't going to add nut-butter and I didn't have dates or anything around to hold it together well so they were a little goopy. I left some out but added coconut flour and baking soda to the rest and put in the oven at 350. 8-10 minutes later, they were puffy, fluffy cookies! The raw treats started out with oats, honey, flax meal, coconut oil, coconut flakes, lemon juice and of course, blackberries. after messing with amounts, I tried to doctor it with arrowroot but I haven't used it much as a thickener so I didn't want to overdo it. I left half the batter raw and put them in the fridge to harden up. No verdict on which ones farm-fam liked more but they were all gone by the end of the day! I might try the raw treats with more arrowroot next time or splurge on dates. But the cookies are a saver. 



We had some extra cabbage from harvest a couple weeks ago so I decided to give Sauerkraut another shot. I've made a number of successful batches in the past but with each time, mold management got messier and messier. I've never had the ideal vessel handy so my makeshift seals usually make or break the deal. I lost the entire last batch I did and couldn't help but be a little deterred after that. So I was a bit anxious to check this one when I ended up using a giant house plant to weigh down a plate over a modest round ceramic baking dish. I had to add some water cause I can never seem to weasel out enough juice with the salt, although I got better at it this time around. Although there was some wild microbial partying happening on top of the plate, this time the kraut was safe and scrumptious. I had added Kombu and Kelp seasoning so it had a very coastal flare. 

I think I've also "beat" myself silly with beats. The jar behind that is pickled beats with onion, ginger and cayenne. 



This is a bread that I've made a number of times before and each time its been a little different. Its not my recipe but it is the best gluten free and vegan sprouted bread recipe ever, which can be found here: The really nom bread recipe. The difference mostly comes in how much a blend the sprouts up. This time I pureed them until they were almost soup and I got this really consistent, rich moist loaf with a perfectly browned top. So when I saw all the berries we had traded with the berry growers at market....I wanted to have my own recipe. And that is what came about this morning. 




Blueberry lemon coconut quinoa loaf. With lemon maple glaze.

For this recipe, I used the basic elements of the bread but messed with the amounts and only sprouted quinoa. Since there wasn't as much sprouted action, I used less flour as well, thinking I'd have less batter. But there ended up being probably near the same amount, although I chose to bake it in a shallower pan as more of a bar loaf. I probably put more flax "egg" in than it needed and the lemon juice amount is a preferential thing. I did quite a bit and then balanced it out with some maple syrup. I used almost a whole pint of blueberries which makes for some really yummy mush but it may have been a bit sturdier if I'd used a few less. The glaze was an after thought and a brilliant one at that. I put it on when it was still warm so the juice sort of seeped in and made bready pudding pockets. I baked it for only 40-50 minutes and while it was getting crisp and solid for the most part, the center was still a bit unstable (as you can see, above) but I don't think it would take any major adjusting. 

Hopefully there will be many more of these to come. 


No comments:

Post a Comment