Sunday, February 8, 2015

Rockin' Resource Fair and a tangent

The results of this year's team Civic Engagement project are in and the consensus is: most assuredly one of the best yet.

Not that it was hard to beat last year's embarrassing failure (having a bunch of affluent, foodie twenty-somethings trying to teach budget cooking to families that have been budget-cooking for years is not a very effective plan, it turns out). But service project aside, a handful of staff members said it was one of the best things that had happened at the school.

Welcome, students!
With a full gymnasium of representatives for non-profits, local government, colleges and talented individuals, the event exuded a vibrant atmosphere of a well-organized, perhaps even sponsored-looking festivity. At noon, our first round of students swarmed in from the hallways. We began at the 'Game of Life' table where students were encouraged to "play" by choosing the 'college' or 'career' path worksheet that would guide them around to booths to collect life cards as they interacted and got information. It was apparent that some of them had been more or less asleep when the game was explained in class before the event but worksheets or not, I was impressed with how many of the students seemed ready to engage anyhow. College tables quickly gathered crowds and I watched many an astounded face as Ariella explained to kids how you could travel the world for next-to-nothing and experience all sorts of adventure. I jumped back and forth on the microphone, the elusive "littlest big voice" in the room as the Puget Sound Rep called me. An announcement for Katy's photography got the first round of presentations going and was followed by a talk from the Hillahee Garden Club on scholarship and service hour opportunities, both receiving full crowds. In the afternoon, I watched girl's eyes light up as they listened to Kate Fortin explain the perks of going to Evergreen College and before they even said it, I knew they'd found the school they would dream of for the next 4 years of high school.

Kate talks to students about Evergreen

Vicky letting students know about local volunteer opportunities and scholarships

There were some hang-ups to the event, as is the case with any new endeavor. Caught up in the logistics of pulling the thing off, advertising for the after-school portion of the day had been all but forgotten on the Packwood/Randle end. Once the school bell rang, the gymnasium was a VIP lounge of sorts, presenters and booth reps noshing on pizza and candy. Around 3:30, Jeremy and Amanda saved the day, rolling in from Morton with two carfulls of kids; these were the stars of our show for the rest of the afternoon. A late crowd met a major shift in the workshop and presentation schedule and besides not doing my own little workshop, two other presenters went on their way without having a crowd or time to do their gig. I felt bad but they were incredibly understanding and we'd quickly learned some lessons for any future planning of a resource fair: it is not for after school hours.

The day wrapped up with Katy's photo booth workshop which got everyone to participate. With the bonus of having the remaining students stuck with us until their ameridrivers cleaned up, we had a ton of extra hands and were done about an hour before we'd originally thought.

Not only was the event an inspiration to the kids, but I saw a lot of the adults and my fellow AmeriCorps peers going around and inquiring at booths. I know I was beginning to stir restlessly inside as I sat between Ariella's WWOOFing booth and Jeremy's PeaceCorps display, just across from The Evergreen State College, taunting me with far off dreams of intellectual engagement and exciting hands-on learning.

For lack of any real winter weather here, Spring has felt perpetually around the corner. With it comes the daunting question of "where do I go from here?" and despite all wisdom telling me to breathe and focus on the present moment, I cannot silence the anxious mind.

I've jumped all over map. Literally.

Originally, I'd intended to find work in Portland, Olympia, Seattle or some smaller town sort of in their realm. Then I went to Florida and became enchanted with the idea of moving down there to be with my dear friend. Unsure of how feasible that will actually be, my mind continues to flit. And most recently, I've felt great rumblings in my bones that have just about had it with weight and burden and constriction. There is a heat wanting to breathe the air of the open road again. but it is much more than ever before. I have a yearning to rid myself of superfluous wants and desires. Part of me just wants to hurl myself into another country and forge my way. To access that deepest trust that I've only toyed with in my mind, on the brink but never jumping off into its vastness.

I'm looking for somewhere I left off.

No comments:

Post a Comment